There have always been martens on and around the property, and though I am fully aware that they like the taste of some rubber automotive parts, they’ve never touched one of my cars. So, when I checked the fluid levels this morning, I made a suprising finding.
On the underside of the hood, there is a mat attached, for thermoprotective purposes, I guess. There have been holes in it before, which I’ve always contributed to mice in the past.
This morning, the holes were a bit larger and there was a huge hose laying in there:
It’s about 35 cm long and I looked and looked, but have no idea where it is supposed to go. The engine ran fine for my small trip to the grocery store, the heating worked (thank goodness, we had 14F this morning).
Here’s the hose in its entirety.
I was able to do a internet search on the part number, but all that told me that its a “hose”. Duh. Looking through most of the 700 page repair manual for my car also revealed nothing. So, I’m off to my trusty mechanic on Monday.