The 13% and the other 87%

We feared that the right-wing and national AfD would be voted into the Parliament in Sunday‘s election, and they were. Strangely, when you look at the different parts of the country and the percentage of support for this party, it‘s the parts where there are the least refugees which reflects the highest support this anti-refugee, anti-european AfD.

I‘ve read in several places that around 8% of the total support that they AfD received was from protest voters. While I find this comforting, on the one hand, it has me seething on the other – for how can anyone cast a vote for a Nazi party – even a protest vote – just how could they?

As is the entire world, I am sure,  I am just so worn down by the dangerous antics, assinine rhetoric and complete cluelessness of DJT, that the german election results make me want to run in to a wall in complete energizer bunny style. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP……

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in getting some interesting background on what is happening in Germany, Al Ledson dedicated one of his latest eposides of his „Reveal“ Podcast to precisely this.

A link  to the episode can be found here.

(In my humble opinion, the Peabody Award winning Podcast „Reveal“ is one of the best podcasts there is – so even if this episode doesn‘t capture your interest, I‘m sure that one of the others will.)

Summer Off / Autumn On

Though according to the calendar, Fall starts later this month, the meteorogical begin is September 1. This is the first time I’ve ever observed such a drastic change of weather here. Our August was unusually warm, all the way to the end, and just as if someone had pushed a button, from September 1 and onward we’ve been at about 55 degrees, mostly gray, with some rain and nighttime temperatures are beginning to endanger my tomatoes. I’m not complaining about the weather though, in fact, I’ve gone into autumn mode and yesterday, actually began to use some of our apples in a Tarte Normande Aux Pommes (a fancy way of saying a Normandy Cake with Apples).

It is baked in multiple stages – first the shell is half-baked, then the apples, having been tossed with cinnamon and sugar are partially baked, then a custard-like mixture is poured over them and it is returned to the oven. 10 minutes before the end, it is generously sprinkled with powdered sugar (which I then caramelized with my culinary torch once the cake was done).


The story featuring yours truly in the county newspaper was reprinted in the local (town) newspaper and I am now reluctant to leave the house, in fear of being recognised as the crazy butterfly lady. 😉


Yes, I’ve been knitting, too. I’ll do a separate post about that, there have been projects throughout.


Last but not least, a shoutout to Jen for sending me this lovely ceramic coaster out of the clear blue. I love it!

Musings

I’ve been very occupied with the state of things in the world recently, more so than usual, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the hurricane victims in Texas and Florida and to those in India, Nepal and Bangladesh, where over a thousand have died. People who are on the wrong side of climate change need not speak to me these days. Don’t even get me started about everything else that’s going on.

“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”
(RIP Heather Heyer and God bless her amazing Mom.)


That outdoor surveillance camera I bought has been interesting. I check the videos in the morning, hoping to see something interesting, but for the most, it has been cats, sometimes even two at the same time, seemingly hunting for mice. I was hoping for maybe a fox or a marten – maybe in time I’ll see something else. For now, it’s an interesting pasttime. And perhaps I should rest easy, knowing that there are no hordes of moose stomping through here in the night, trampling my flowers.*


At the beginning of the week, I mailed a photo of a freshly hatched swallowtail to the local newspaper, and a reporter came and interviewed me about all things caterpillars, butterflies, and the dropping numbers of their population. This morning, there was a half-page article about it in the newspaper – with pictures. I’m blushing at an alarming rate here.

Though glad that the butterflies are getting a bit more press 🙂


Anyhow, trying to get back into the “good” parts of the internet and will be checking everyone’s blogs this weekend. I’ve been much too distracted by current events recently. Apologies.


*There are no moose here. Just trying to be funny. It’s a wonderful picture in my head, moose trampling through 🙂